Ever thought of visiting the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador? This famous group of volcanic islands straddles the equator and are nearly 1,000 kilometres off the coast of Ecuador.
Well if you did, here are some quick facts about a region that is a highlight of our Ecuador tours. Some may know that the Darwinian Theory of the Origin of Man was developed after studying the Galapagos Islands, but did you know that confluence of four ocean currents (Equatorial, Cromwell, Humboldt, and Panama) in this area is what gives it such an unpredictable and unique climate?
Did you think that penguins are only found in the Southern Hemisphere? You would be incorrect. Penguins found in the Galapagos Islands are the only penguins known to breed in the Northern Hemisphere.
Ever wondered why the cormorants don’t fly away from the Galapagos Islands? Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) for them they have evolved to grow too large to spread their wings and fly. The birds’ wings are only one third of what they should be for a bird of that size, making this type of cormorant one of the rarest birds on Earth. Speaking of birds that can’t fly, the marine iguana is the only lizard that is known to swim.
You probably already knew tortoises were one of the large animals on the islands, but did you know they typically weigh up to 600 pounds and can live up to 150 years? The largest known Galapagos tortoise weighed in at 919 lbs!
Every trip to the Galapagos Islands is an opportunity to learn a great deal more about nature and wildlife, especially in this unique, special spot on Earth.
Join us on this 10-day Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands tour! If you have more time to spend in the region, you’ll love this 32-day tour of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, which includes the Galapagos Islands.
- Ten Questions for a Tour Leader: Jonathan Hodgson - 20 July 2018
- Best Museums In Spain – The Four You Must See - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Street Art in South America - 2 July 2018
- Why Oman should be on your travel wish list. - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Australia’s Outback - 1 June 2018
- New Zealand Southern Alps – A Photo Tour - 1 June 2018
- Patagonia dreaming: A journey through Chile & Argentina - 1 June 2018
- Cartagena – Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City, Part II - 1 May 2018
- Cartagena Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City - 1 May 2018
- Palenque de San Basilio- The First Freed African-American Settlement - 1 May 2018