Many of our Amorgos-bound travellers and guests of the Aegialis Hotel have enjoyed a sweet island specialty that is as addictive as it is easy to make. We bet you can’t have just one
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable oil, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl. The water should be no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam. In a large bowl, mix the warm milk, sugar, and salt, and mix to dissolve. Pour the yeast mixture into the milk mixture, and stir to combine.
- Beat in the butter, eggs, and flour until the mixture forms a smooth, soft dough. Cover the bowl, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. Stir the dough well, cover, and let rise 30 more minutes.
- Mix honey and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off the heat and let the honey syrup cool.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil should be about 2 inches deep.
- Place a large table or soupspoon in a glass of water near the batter. Scoop up about 2 tablespoons of dough per puff with the wet spoon, drop it into the wet palm of your hand, and roll it back into the spoon to create a round shape. Do not over-handle the puffy, soft dough. Drop the dough balls into the hot oil in batches, wetting the spoon each time you make a dough ball. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on the bottom, and roll them over to cook the other side, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Gently set the loukoumades aside to drain on paper towels.
- Place the loukoumades on a baking sheet, drizzle them with honey syrup, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm.
- Focus On Southeast Asia Tours - 29 May 2017
- New Tours & Updates - 29 May 2017
- Upcoming Tours - 29 May 2017
- Tour Leader News - 29 May 2017
- Borobudur: Indonesia’s Great Buddhist Stupa - 29 May 2017
- Accommodation Spotlight: Hacienda Zuleta, Ecuador - 29 May 2017
- FEATURE – 30th Anniversary! - 9 March 2017
- UPCOMING TOURS - 9 March 2017
- WHAT A SITE! - 9 March 2017
- NEW THINGS AND UPDATES! - 9 March 2017