What a site!

mosaic The Greek site of Pella was the ancient capital of King Archelaus of Macedonia at the end of the 5th century BC and birthplace of Alexander the Great. The site is located in northern Greece, about 39 km northwest of Thessaloníki. Excavations by the Greek Archaeological Service begun in 1957 revealed large, well-built houses with colonnaded courts and rooms with spectacular mosaic floors. These mosaics, dating from the late 4th century BC, belong to two categories: those with simply a geometric decoration covering the entire surface of the floor, and those with representative subjects, such as hunts, Amazonomachy (battle of Amazons), and others. The efforts to indicate volume by the use of shading is noteworthy. The colour scale is limited, with most figures being in pale shades against a neutral background. In some cases there is an attempt to suggest the natural space in which the figures move. One mosaic floor bears the artist’s signature: “Gnosis epoesen” (Gnosis made this). Although the city was pillaged by the Romans, it did not cease to exist until the 1st century BC, when it was destroyed, probably by an earthquake. In 30 AD the Roman colony of Pella (‘Colonia Pellensis’) was founded west of the city, at the site of present-day Nea Pella. Visit the site of Pella on Day 8 of our new Greece, Macedonia & Kosovo tour (GM1), next departure 23 May 2016. Greece, Macedonia & Kosovo Tour: GM1 | 15 Days | Departure date: 23 May 2016 | Details
Andrew Boycott

About Andrew Boycott

Leave a Reply