With a history of creating some of the world’s best rum, currently a third of their land dedicated to growing rum’s main ingredient of sugar cane, a sunny climate, and a thirsty appetite, Cuba has had plenty of time and ingredients to create the perfect Cuban cocktail.
Specialties differ across the country, but many of the high profile cocktails have become world famous beyond the Caribbean coastline for a reason: they’re delicious.
Top 3 Cuban Cocktails
Here is a quick recipe guide for three of Cuba’s best cocktails, inspired by one of our most recent Cuba tours.
Classic, refreshing, and with enough sugar to give you energy to salsa all night long.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 6 leaves of mint, soda water, 1 oz fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons sugar
Preparation: Crush and mix the mint with sugar and lime juice. Add rum and top with soda water. Garnished with sprig of mint leaves. Served over ice with a straw, garnish with mint leaves.
Invented by army captains celebrating after Cuba was freed from the Spanish in the Spanish-American war, this classic Cuban cocktail is perhaps the easiest to recreate.
Ingredients: 4 oz cola, 1/3 fresh lime juice, 1 2/3 oz white rum
Preparation: Add all the ingredients into a short glass, serve over ice, garnish with a lime wedge.
A specialty from Trinidad, it is thought this drink was invented as a pain killer during the battle for independence.
Ingredients: 2 oz of white rum, 1 oz of fresh lime juice, 3/4 oz of honey syrup
Preparation: Mix all ingredients in a short glass, with a straw to stir in honey. Serve over ice and garnish with a lime wedge.
Of course, as any fan of Cuban cocktails will tell you, this is just the beginning of a long list of rum and citrus inspired drinks.
If you fancy trying out these delicacies in their founding locations, perhaps indulging in a former Hemingway haunt, click here for information on our next Cuba tour.
- Ten Questions for a Tour Leader: Jonathan Hodgson - 20 July 2018
- Best Museums In Spain – The Four You Must See - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Street Art in South America - 2 July 2018
- Why Oman should be on your travel wish list. - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Australia’s Outback - 1 June 2018
- New Zealand Southern Alps – A Photo Tour - 1 June 2018
- Patagonia dreaming: A journey through Chile & Argentina - 1 June 2018
- Cartagena – Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City, Part II - 1 May 2018
- Cartagena Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City - 1 May 2018
- Palenque de San Basilio- The First Freed African-American Settlement - 1 May 2018