When it comes to romance, Europe seems to be a place that just oozes it. But sometimes, displays of affection can be off-putting. Such is the case of the lock loves, so off-putting that many municipalities are trying to find ways to stop or ban the trend.
In Paris, France, the famous landmark turned eye-sore, the love-lock Pont des Arts bridge, is removing the locks for safety concerns and the bridges chain link fencing will be covered by lock-blocking plexiglass on June 1, 2015.
This comes a year after part of the bridge collapsed due to the excess weight of the locks, which on the Pont des Arts is estimated at 92 metric tons of extra weight! The strange tradition of writing a pair of sweethearts names on a lock and attaching it to a beautiful bridge is not just found on the bridge which stands beneath the Eiffel Tower.
Where else in Europe has a love-lock bridge?
Hohenzollern Bridge, Cologne, Germany - Back in 2009, lovers started locking up their love symbols and throwing the keys in the Rhine River on this bridge in Cologne.
Most Ljubavi, Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia – The aptly named bridge when translated means “Bridge of Love”. It’s no wonder this is a bridge of choice for those seeking to prove their love is unbreakable.
Malá Strana district, Prague, Czech Republic – One of Europe’s most romantic city has its own love lock bridge, the pedestrian-only Mala Strana.
Butchers’ Bridge, Ljubljana, Slovenia - Despite having a less than romantic name, this bridge has seen heavy attention of love-locks after locks starting appearing 5 years ago.
Ponte Milvio Bridge, Rome, Italy – On a small section of the bridge, lovers in another one of Europes most romantic cities have been attaching locks and throwing away the keys on this bridge.
How long will it be until other bridges across Europe begin taking measures to stop the love lock trend? Only time will tell.
While love-lock bridge spotting will likely never be a sole reason to travel to Europe, have a look through our small group tours of Europe to find the most historic and romantic cities, which may or may not have a love lock bridge.
- Ten Questions for a Tour Leader: Jonathan Hodgson - 20 July 2018
- Best Museums In Spain – The Four You Must See - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Street Art in South America - 2 July 2018
- Why Oman should be on your travel wish list. - 2 July 2018
- An Introduction to Australia’s Outback - 1 June 2018
- New Zealand Southern Alps – A Photo Tour - 1 June 2018
- Patagonia dreaming: A journey through Chile & Argentina - 1 June 2018
- Cartagena – Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City, Part II - 1 May 2018
- Cartagena Colombia’s Fantastic Caribbean Colonial City - 1 May 2018
- Palenque de San Basilio- The First Freed African-American Settlement - 1 May 2018